Gregg Hutt joined the firm in 2005 and became a Shareholder in 2012. He is Florida Bar Board Certified in Construction Law and is a member of the firm's Construction and Commercial Litigation groups. Before entering the practice of law, Gregg worked in the practice of architecture for ten years.
- Represented owners and contractors in multi-million dollar cases involving claims of professional malpractice and delay on large-scale mixed use projects.
- Represented contractor regarding construction defect and payment claims involving 42-story luxury hi-rise condominium.
- Represented national developer of government buildings against the General Services Administration for unpaid increased construction costs.
- Represented publically traded lender against claims of lender liability and improper funding of construction loans.
- Represented contractors, subcontractors, design professionals and owners in breach of contract claims and construction lien claims, through trial and appeal.
- Defended contractors and developers in condominium defect claims arising upon transfer of control of the association.
- Represented contractors in governmental bid protests.
- Defended surety against performance bond claims.
- Drafted and negotiated multiple public and private construction agreements for complex and multi-phased construction and development projects ranging from $2 million to $195 million.
- Drafted multiple forms of agreement for the construction and related industries, including Takeover and Completion Agreements in the surety context.
- Represented large institutional clients in defense of employment claims of sexual harassment and gender discrimination.
Reported Decisions/Oral Arguments
- State v. Peter R. Brown Construction, Inc.108 So.3d 723, District Court of Appeal of Florida, 1st District March 1, 2013
- 9640 Ulmerton Rd., LLC v. Golden Fuel, Inc. 64 So.3d 1274, District Court
of Appeal of Florida, 2nd District June 29, 2011
- Marinich v. Special Edition Custom Homes, LLC 48 So.3d 847, District Court of
Appeal of Florida, 2nd District November 19, 2010
- Marinich v. Special Edition Custom Homes, LLC 1 So.3d 1197, District Court of
Appeal of Florida, 2nd District February 6, 2009
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
- The Florida Bar
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Construction Law Certification Review Course Committee, Co-Vice Chair, 2017-2018
- Co-Author (with John Vento and Patrick Poff), Florida Section of the Cumulative Supplement, Fifty-State Lien and Bond Law Manual-Second Edition, Aspen Law Publishing, 2004-present, original pub. date 2000
- “Leave of Absence: A Reasonable Accommodation,” Hillsborough County Bar Association’s Lawyer magazine, April 2008
- Co-Author (with Patrick Poff), “Drafting and Negotiating Contractual Indemnity Agreements,” a section of the Construction Checklists: A Guide to Frequently Encountered Construction Issues, published by the American Bar Association’s Forum on the Construction Industry, 2008.
- Co-Author (with William P. Cassidy, Jr.), Chapter C, Best Practices to Help Effectively Administer FMLA Leave in Your Organization to Avoid Costly Mistakes, Council on Education in Management FMLA Update, 2006
In addition to the speaking engagements listed below, Gregg has done numerous private presentations on construction lien law for lenders, contractors and subcontractors.
- Presenter, Chapter 558 - Florida Statutes, The Florida Bar Advanced Construction Law Certification Review Course, March 2017
- Presenter, Fundamentals of Construction Law—Schedule and Time Impact Issues, ABA Forum on the Construction Industry Regional Program Tampa, November 2013
- Panelist, Federal Government Contractors Luncheon Presentation hosted by M.E. Wilson, Inc., discussing Federal claims, the Buy American Act and Federal Contractor Ethics, July 2012
- Panelist, Davis Bacon Roundtable, Associated Builders and Contractors, Florida Gulf Coast Chapter meeting, June 2012
- Presenter, Practical Issues in Construction Litigation—Contract Drafting and Planning, HCBA Construction Law Section CLE, February 2012
- Presenter, The Importance of Specifying Defects and Claims under Chapter 558, Fla. Stats., Lorman CLE seminar, December 2005
HONORS & DISTINCTIONS
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Construction Law
- Chambers USA Ranked, Construction Law, 2016-2017
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2014, 2015
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2013, 2016
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, 2014, 2016
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, (J.D., cum laude), 2004
- Dean’s List, 2002-2004
- Honor Court, Attorney General
- Trial Team, 2003-2004
- Book Award, Trial Practice, fall 2003
- St. Johns University National Civil Rights Trial Competition Winner, 2004
- Trial Team Order of the Barristers Award, 2004
- University of Florida, (M.S. Real Estate), 2003
- Florida Association of Realtors scholarship
University of Florida, (B.D. with honors), Architecture, 1991
United States District Court, Middle District