Don Weinbren joined the firm in 1981, immediately following his graduation from the University of Texas School of Law. He became a Shareholder in 1986 and has worked his entire career with the firm. His practice involves health care, corporate and business law, taxation, estate planning and insurance planning.
Don's practice also includes managed care contracts, medical reimbursements, provider contracts, state and federal regulation of health care industries, including licensure and audit defense, business formation and entity Selection, buy-sell, employment, management and consulting agreements, business transactions and planning, including purchases, sales, mergers and acquisitions, corporate, partnership and LLC Taxation, general corporate representation, private placements, asset protection planning, estate planning, wills and trusts, and prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
- Represented numerous professional practices, including physicians, dentists, lawyers and accountants, in the formation, operation and wind-down of their businesses.
- Represented numerous health care businesses (e.g., pharmacies, home health agencies, home medical equipment providers) in licensure application and renewals and in operational and financial audits by state agencies. Each representation resulted in successfully obtaining a license or license renewal, and each audit defense resulted in a successful negotiation of a fair settlement.
- Represented a group of physicians in the formation of a health maintenance organization, including structuring the entity, registering the stock of the entity for the securities offering, obtaining a Florida HMO license, developing subscriber and provider agreements and operating procedures, assisting as operational questions arose, and ultimately liquidating the entity through the applicable state agency.
- Represented numerous clients in the purchase or sale of the assets or ownership interests of a business (both health care and other businesses) by an unrelated third party, including obtaining loan financing for such purchases.
- Represented acquired party in sale of multi-location (19 locations) comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facility and related physical therapy practices (and restructuring of the business in connection with accomplishing the sale).
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- The Florida Bar, Health Law Section
- The Group Inc., Director; Vice President of 2017 Annual Meeting
- Various national and local professional networking organizations
- United Way of Tampa Bay
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, 2001-2004
- Volunteer Services Division Leadership Committee, Chair, 2001-2004
- TampaJCC/Jewish Federation
- Board of Directors, 1986-1990
- Treasurer, 1989-1990
- Kiwanis Club of Tampa (downtown club), since 1982
- Board of Directors, 1989-1996
- President, 1994-1995
- Doyle E. Carlton (“Kiwanian of the Year”) Memorial Award, 1998
- Tampa Kiwanis Foundation
- Board of Directors, 1992-2001
- President, 2000-2001
- The Tampa Connection, 1991 Graduate
- Board of Directors, 1991-1997
- Chair, 1996-1997
- Leadership Tampa, Class of 1996
- Leadership Tampa Bay, Class of 2001
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, Austin, 1981
B.B.A. Accounting, summa cum laude, University of Cincinnati, 1978